T5W: Childrens Books to Read as an Adult
It’s Top 5 Wednesday! Today the topic is children’s books to read as an adult. As a parent I have lots of time to think about this topic, though at this point my oldest is only 6, she can sit through some long chapter books on audio. You can see some of our listening choices in my post about audiobooks for young children. In general, some children’s books stand the test of time and some just don’t. I am not reading my kids books that are full of rampant sexism and I try not to read them anything too sad or violent (this is why old Disney movies are just not as popular any more, I’m guessing). So this list is of books that I have re-read in recent years, with my kids or without, that I have enjoyed. I’ve listened to A Wrinkle in Time and many of the Roald Dahl books on audio and highly recommend those for anyone. Chris O’Dowd is the narrator for Fantastic Mr. Fox!
My Top 5 Children’s Books for Adults
- A Wrinkle in Time– I re-read this last year before I knew that OPRAH was in the movie. The struggle of good and evil, the love of that super cool family, poor Meg, it’s just such a great story. And am I excited for the movie? Yes I am.
- The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe– This has been a favorite for me for a long time. If Harry Potter had never come along, I would have been re-reading this whole series instead. Always a favorite.
- Fantastic Mr. Fox, or anything by Roald Dahl.
- The Little Prince– Such a sweet book. I haven’t read this to my kids yet but need to do that soon. I love this book.
- From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler – Adventure, museums, art, mystery! So good.
And a bonus #6 that I need to re-read soon… The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White. I remember it making me ugly cry in front of my whole family, I had forgotten that it was also funny. I need to pick that one up again.
Those are some favorite children’s books for adults! Let me know if you have any other favorites.
This post is for #T5W, or Top 5 Wednesday. Check out the #T5W group on Goodreads!