Gardening

It’s a process, okay?

the new butterfly garden

I kind of hate to show you this picture, since it looks like such a mess. But I’m hoping you can see the potential in my new butterfly garden. Given my penchant for buying pretty much only 4″ pots (cheap!), I am surprised it has come this far. A few of these came in larger containers– the Argentinian butterfly bush, the butterfly bush (peacock), and the woolly butterfly bush (see a theme here?). I was lucky enough to get the orange and yellow bulbine from some fellow garden bloggers (like Katina), as well as the plant hanging in the tree (is it Dutchman’s pipe?). Other denizens include three different flavors of shrimp plant, Mexican oregano, Mexican mint marigold, pink pavonia, chocolate mint, some sunflowers, and I’m thinking of plopping the “Rajun Cajun” ruellia in there as well. The icky-looking fence keeps Sweetpea out– mostly. At least she doesn’t tear through there. It will be a year or two before these are established enough to really draw in the butterflies, but I’m looking forward to it. At that point I’ll be able to put up something pretty around the edge! Here is the peacock butterfly bush from a more flattering angle.

butterfly bush

7 Comments

1. Caroline

May 12, 2009 at 10:32 pm

Yay! I love it when gardeners post pictures of their baby gardens when they’re just starting out. Gardens are like babies — sweet little toddlers who, in a few short years, shock you by doing stuff like graduating from college. I’ll be one of the lucky ones to be able to say “and I knew it when it was just a mess of 4 inch pots in a mound of dirt” when your garden reaches its full, glorious potential.

1. Sue

May 13, 2009 at 12:00 pm

I can’t wait for that! I am encouraged that the new beds from last year have come a long way. There is hope!

2. Pam/Digging

May 12, 2009 at 11:57 pm

It IS a process, which is half the fun. I love that you show the reality of starting a garden. I’ll be back to watch it grow with you.

1. Sue

May 13, 2009 at 11:57 am

Thank you for the kind thoughts. It is kind of unfair to only show the established gardens, not that I have any! I hope to look back at these photos with with the incredulous eye of a parent, wondering how the kids were ever this small.

3. dixie

May 13, 2009 at 11:48 am

Hooray! I love it! I finished my expanded butterfly/ hummingbird garden last weekend, but I have been negligent in posting images. I also only buy cheap 4″ pots when they are available. I splurge on bigger ones only when smaller is not an option.

Mine is in the front yard to eliminate the fence need, but the veggie garden in the back has an ugly fence around it. Also, I finally started a compost and Sherman has been trying to get in it all week.

Did I give you a variegated agave? If not, do you want one the next time I see you?

1. Sue

May 13, 2009 at 11:59 am

Your butterfly garden looks really pretty, though. Maybe it is the fence that I hate so much, but I think yours has less bare ground as well. My dogs love the compost, I have no idea how they manage to get into it but they do.

You did give me one for my birthday last year! It is in my front garden, along with the spine-free cactus. Thank you!

4. Cheryl

May 14, 2009 at 2:40 pm

It looks great! I only buy 4″ pots as well…I enjoy watching them grow…that’s the point.