Gardening

Sunshine Community Gardens inspiration

Sunshine Community Gardens are only a couple of miles from our house. I like to visit to see what people are planting, and get new ideas for our garden. We visited last weekend and I was very jealous of the artichokes. We have a few artichokes that BT planted from seed last year, but they just haven’t gotten very big yet this year. We have quite a bit of shade, so they may be stunted. Check out the artichokes at Sunshine!

Sunshine Community Garden Austin

Sunshine Community Garden Austin

Sunshine Community Garden Austin

This poor Inca dove picked a funny spot to build her nest.
Sunshine Community Garden Austin

This plot was very neat and tidy, but with a bunch of wildflowers in the middle. I liked that.
Sunshine Community Garden Austin

This hen is very cute.
Sunshine Community Garden Austin

Almost as cute as the real ones, which were very vocal. I really miss having chickens!
Sunshine Community Garden Austin

And finally, a good use for all those bottle-caps.
Sunshine Community Garden Austin

7 Comments

1. Katina

April 26, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Hey Sue!

It was great meeting you at the garden bloggers get together today.

I wish we could have chickens in our neighborhood, but alas, they are against the HOA rules.

2. Katina

April 26, 2009 at 7:40 pm

hmm, I guess I need to keep track of when I’m posting comments on a wordpress blog. So, comment now updated with my gardening blog instead of my normal one.

3. keewee

April 26, 2009 at 8:52 pm

That is a very nice garden indeed.

4. Vertie

April 27, 2009 at 9:22 am

Love the little details you caught! Can’t wait to see your Topo Chico edging. Maybe you can use the tops too.

5. Annie in Austin

April 27, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Thanks for the look at Sunshine Gardens, Sue – the artichoke is so cool. It was also cool to see you again yesterday.

If my son ever gets into gardening, I’ll send him here for stepping stone inspiration! He has some of the materials already.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

6. Kelly

April 27, 2009 at 12:42 pm

I’ve experienced Sunshine artichoke envy a few times myself. My plant has had its best year ever thanks, I think, to lots of watering, but the artichokes just never get as fat and tight as those in your picture. Still good eating though.

7. ESP

April 30, 2009 at 11:15 pm

Hi Sue.
    Loved that first artichoke shot, worthy of a magazine! And the hen? what a funny character!
    Sorry to have missed you at the get together.
    ESP.