Gardening

Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day: June 2008

This is my first effort to participate in Bloom Day. Fun!

Esperanza we inherited with the house. It’s loving this heat, doing just fine.

Flame acanthus that I just planted a little while ago, still trying to establish itself. Poor thing!

And the big one, an artichoke! The ones at Zilker Botanical were already blooming a couple of weeks ago. We had a bunch of artichokes, and this is the only one to send up a bloom. Go, artichoke, go!

7 Comments

1. Cindee

June 15, 2008 at 11:50 pm

Your flowers are pretty. That artichoke is really cool looking!

2. Pam/Digging

June 16, 2008 at 2:03 am

The artichoke is a fun surprise to see on Bloom Day. Thanks for posting it. Your esperanza is ahead of mine, but then again mine is pretty heavily shaded.

3. Annie in Austin

June 16, 2008 at 1:36 pm

Esperanza is a plant I admire but can’t keep over winter. Yours looks great and the artichoke is also very cool.

Happy Blooming Day, SMR!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

I had to cut it back over the winter. It just grew back and went crazy! I’ve seen them in Houston that are the size of trees, I guess they don’t have to cut them back there. Dang Zone 9 people!

4. Carol, May Dreams Gardens

June 17, 2008 at 4:57 pm

I love seeing the artichoke. I’ll cheer it on, too. Never saw one posted for bloom day!

Stay cool, I hear it it’s hot in Austin! 😉

Thanks for joining in for bloom day.

5. mss @ Zanthan Gardens

June 17, 2008 at 10:53 pm

Someone down the street had two wonderful artichokes. Seeing them in life convinced me that I want one. Your photo is seconding the motion. I’m glad you participated in GBBD this month. It’s fun to see what other Austinites are growing in this ridiculous weather we’re having.

6. Leslie

June 20, 2008 at 9:44 am

I love your artichoke! Actually….I’m jealous of your artichoke! mmmmmm.

7. Sarah Laurence (England)

June 21, 2008 at 2:18 am

That artichoke is so fresh you are making me hungry. Too bad you have too much heat – it’s too cold and wet here. Nice photos!